YDL - Builds for Red Hat?

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Tue Oct 3 08:15:34 MDT 2006

Hi Rodney:

Some clarifications are necessary.

Companies, such as Omnipilot Software who own Lasso, maintain complete
control of their products; they determine:

1.  How an evaluation copy of the commercial product which terminates
within a defined period of time, may be acquired.

2.  How this commercial product is available for purchase.

More details from that company, which you may already be familiar with,
regarding Lasso are available here:

http://www.omnipilot.com/FAQs.1756.lasso

Currently it appears that they don't allow Lasso to exist as a General
Public License (GPL) product nor do they appear to have a similar
license approaching the GPL in some way.

An organization called Open Source Initiative (OSI) exists as a means
for individuals (and companies) to review what is defined under the GPL
or under other licenses which approach the GPL in some manner.

It should be understood that there are no obligations that any company
or individual must support or participate in open source efforts as
defined within the GPL.  Some companies, like Apple (as well as IBM and
others), participate within the open source effort within a license
which allows and supports their views and protects their unique
interests and products -- these unique licenses explain these different
approaches to how these companies contribute and participate within the
open source framework or concept.  Also these various licenses allow a
distinction regarding what products or portions of their products are
considered as open source and which portions of the same are commercial
or proprietary.

You can learn more of these licenses from here:

http://www.opensource.org/

How the above affects you:
As you are moving to YDL you will have to use open source programs which
can either be compiled for use within YDL or are already compiled for
use within YDL.  Essentially this means that you or someone will have to
carefully research what open source, read GPL, product exists which can
replace Lasso and other products like Lasso which you have been
accustomed to.

There is another distinction you may find helpful.  YDL runs on PowerPC
processors only.  Red Hat produces Linux which runs only on Intel and
compatible processors.
YDL can run a great deal of what has been written for Red Hat -- unless
that open source program has been designed to be run exclusively on
Intel and compatible processors.

Although it is possible to independently research and determine what
open source packages and applications you may need to replace
proprietary applications such as Lasso; it may be faster to review the
3rd Party applications determined as functioning with YDL.  That listing
is available here:

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/products/ydl/3rd_party/

Each category reveals another listing below it.  This should help your
efforts to replace commercial software with open source applications.

Good Luck....