unable to install Klash in Konquereror cannot view flash

Bill Perrotta billperrotta at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 29 18:41:44 MST 2006

Ok it is because in the instructions for ydl three point one it says to copy the disk image to the system folder. That was easy enough then click on the sit file or drag it to stuffit expander. Neither worked all i got was errors saying the mac os does not know what app the sit file was created with so it can't open it. The other error i got was that it was corrupted.I got these errors in both ydl 3.0 and 3.1 because i tried both. This was when i dual booted with os 8.0. then i tried
Yellowdog 2.x and i tried all versions because it kept locking up during the install.ydl 2.x uses a heqx File which stuffit-expander recognizes right away and kicks off the bootx install. Finally version 2.1 fiji installed properly and i have no idea why. Before i opened the heqx file i had a pain in the ass time until i figured out that stuffit expander was included when i install netscape. The people at stuff-it are real geniu's since they expect you to open a heqx file to install stuffit when  it is the only damn program besides nescape and ie that will read a heqx file before it is installed. Did'nt these damn morans ever think of making it as an installer file since their stinking program is the main heqx file reader and not installed yet.
I am crossing my fingers that the version of stuffit-expander included with mac os9 or at least it's netscape ie or firefox install will include a version of stuffit the will  open the sit file. Then maybe I will put ydl 3.1 on my machine or better yet be more adventurous and put ydl 4.0 on it. You see you don't know me that well yet, I do the impossible in the pc world but this is my first adventure with macs.
I mod xboxes I rip apart and rebuild printers. If this is humanly possible I'll get it done one way or another. And no i will not stick to os9. The reason why i took these macs when when my friend from dept. of sanitation fished them out of the trash is because i read about YDL in the Linux Bible. And yes for the end user os9 is acceptable, But for my mac i will get Ydl 3.1 or better 4.0 to run if it kills me.And i seriously dout that will happen. I probaly wouldn't need os9 either if it wasn't for the jackasses at adobe not offering shockwave ppc support.
Thanks again for your help,
                                         Bill
Eric Dunbar <eric.dunbar at gmail.com> wrote: On 29/10/06, Bill Perrotta  wrote:
> Most likely if i choose to upgrade to ydl 4 I will use bootx cause it is
> already there from yellowdog 2.1. But for the other mac if i am installing
> os x on it i will probably use xfacto. because the other mac would only run
> os solely. Question though to upgrade to ydl4 do i need os9? or is os 8.1
> good enough?

Since you seem to be having problems understanding the instructions
relating to BootX and YDL 4.0*, I would strongly suggest that you
stick with Mac OS 9 for those two computers.

* I was a Linux neophyte when I installed YDL 4 and I had no problems
installing it on an OldWorld machine. Fixing the other problems caused
me a few headaches but they were easy to resolve once I knew what I
was looking for and I (and others) can answer those questions once you
install YDL 4 or point you to the discussions in the YDL General
archives that document the processes.

FYI XPostFacto is a hack. It's not a permanent solution, especially
for a complete computer neophyte since you're putting an advanced
operating system on primitive hardware which can't really meet its
needs. OS X may run, but it won't run well and will be quite unstable!

YMMV.

As for BootX: You managed to install BootX on the machine when you
installed YDL 2.1 so there's absolutely no reason that you can't get
it on with 3.1 or 4.0.

YDL 3.1 was an easier OS to install than 2.1 so I don't understand why
you didn't go with 3.1 in the first place!

> Paul Higgins  wrote:
>  On Saturday 28 October 2006 18:42, Bill Perrotta wrote:
> > Another thing i have seen some other free bootloaders besides bootx on the
> > internet that will allow me to boot os x on an old world mac.

quik is an open source boot loader but AFAIK it's temperamental and
requires a bit of luck and a lot of skill to get working properly.
However, a legal copy of Mac OS 8 or 9 costs next to nothing, and, Mac
OS 7.5.5 (or 7.5.3 Update 2) is free for the downloading from Apple
and runs on all pre-G3 hardware.