ALSA in YDL 4.0.1 + 4.1

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Sun Nov 5 10:24:27 MST 2006

On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 20:55:18 -0600
Paul Higgins <higg0008 at tc.umn.edu> wrote:

> I'm probably not the only person who's into multimedia stuff with Linux, and
> likewise I am certainly not the only one to note that this area is
> rather...challenging...in Linux (especially on PPC).  So I was wondering if
> anyone has figured out where the config file(s) for ALSA might be in YDL, as
> I'm getting a little tired of having to manually set up my soundcard in a
> terminal using alsamixer.  I've noticed that the same settings (which have to
> be changed to get audio output) are always retained after a reboot or logout,
> so they must be stored somewhere, right?
>
> This problem was noteable in YDL 4.0.1; has it been solved in 4.1?
>
> Thanks,
> -PRH

Hi Paul:

I did the following as superuser:

[root at arakus aguila]# find / -name "*alsa*" -print > findalsa
[root at arakus aguila]# vim findalsa

Explanation:

The find command is instructed to search for any file starting from / where the expression alsa
appears and regardless of any expression (*) appearing either before or after it.  The find command
is also instructed to output its results to a file which I called findalsa.

The next line invokes the editor of my choice (vim) to open that file.  You may choose any
editor you are familiar with to review either findalsa or whatever other filename you may choose to
use instead.

Paul, the above would have worked under any version of YDL.  Perhaps it could be to your advantage
to consider the following resources as well:

http://www.ftlinuxcourse.com/

http://tldp.org/

Good Luck....