BitTorrent problems

Paul Higgins higg0008 at tc.umn.edu
Wed Nov 15 19:53:43 MST 2006

Anyone using BitTorrent?  I installed the RPM from the extras/testing YDL
repository (bittorrent-gui and dependencies), but can't get it to run
properly.  It's supposed to sit in the background until you download
a .torrent file (in a browser) and then start up.  At least that's the way it
behaves on my work machine (Debian x86), and according to the research I did
on the problem, that's proper behavior for bittorrent-gui.

I tried Derick's trick for locating bittorrent-gui, since using other
approaches in a terminal didn't yield anything:

# find / -name "*bittorrent*" -print > findbt

the file "findbt" is:
/var/cache/yum/extras-testing/packages/bittorrent-gui-3.4.1-0.ydx.0.noarch.rpm
/var/cache/yum/extras-testing/packages/bittorrent-3.4.1-0.ydx.0.noarch.rpm
/var/cache/yum/extras-testing/headers/bittorrent-0-3.4.1-0.ydx.0.noarch.hdr
/var/cache/yum/extras-testing/headers/bittorrent-gui-0-3.4.1-0.ydx.0.noarch.hdr
/usr/share/mimelnk/application/x-bittorrent.desktop
/usr/share/doc/bittorrent-3.4.1
/usr/share/mime/application/x-bittorrent.xml

I'm confused here.  Shouldn't bittorrent-gui be in /usr/bin?  Why is it only
in the yum cache file?  Here's what yum reports:

$ yum info bittorrent-gui
Looking in Installed Packages:
Name   : bittorrent-gui
Arch   : noarch
Version: 3.4.1
Release: 0.ydx.0
Size   : 17.59 kB
Group  : Applications/Internet
Repo   : Locally Installed
transfer tool.

The documentation (/usr/share/doc/bittorrent-3.4.1) is pretty sketchy, and
there is no manpage, unfortunately.

Thanks,
-PRH