BitTorrent problems

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Thu Nov 16 06:10:51 MST 2006

Paul Higgins wrote:
> Anyone using BitTorrent?  I installed the RPM from the extras/testing YDL
> repository (bittorrent-gui and dependencies), but can't get it to run
> properly.  It's supposed to sit in the background until you download
> a .torrent file (in a browser) and then start up.  At least that's the way it
> behaves on my work machine (Debian x86), and according to the research I did
> on the problem, that's proper behavior for bittorrent-gui.
>
> I tried Derick's trick for locating bittorrent-gui, since using other
> approaches in a terminal didn't yield anything:
>
> # find / -name "*bittorrent*" -print > findbt
>
> the file "findbt" is:
> /var/cache/yum/extras-testing/packages/bittorrent-gui-3.4.1-0.ydx.0.noarch.rpm
> /var/cache/yum/extras-testing/packages/bittorrent-3.4.1-0.ydx.0.noarch.rpm
> /var/cache/yum/extras-testing/headers/bittorrent-0-3.4.1-0.ydx.0.noarch.hdr
> /var/cache/yum/extras-testing/headers/bittorrent-gui-0-3.4.1-0.ydx.0.noarch.hdr
> /usr/share/mimelnk/application/x-bittorrent.desktop
> /usr/share/doc/bittorrent-3.4.1
> /usr/share/mime/application/x-bittorrent.xml
>
> I'm confused here.  Shouldn't bittorrent-gui be in /usr/bin?  Why is it only
> in the yum cache file?  Here's what yum reports:
>
> $ yum info bittorrent-gui
> Looking in Installed Packages:
> Name   : bittorrent-gui
> Arch   : noarch
> Version: 3.4.1
> Release: 0.ydx.0
> Size   : 17.59 kB
> Group  : Applications/Internet
> Repo   : Locally Installed
> transfer tool.
>
> The documentation (/usr/share/doc/bittorrent-3.4.1) is pretty sketchy, and
> there is no manpage, unfortunately.
>
> Thanks,
> -PRH

Hey Paul!

How ya doin'?

Good to see you getting slick in seeing the available tools within the
system as your friends.  By the way, did you bother reading the .xml
file?  It may be part of the documentation, did you check it out?
...Just asking.  Usually .xml and .html files actually can reveal
something regarding a product.

Here's a link which may be of use to you:

http://www.sidewalkcrusaders.com/bthowto/btstart.html

also remember the Linux Documentation Project:

http://www.tldp.org/

Continued Good Luck...