YDL 3.0 locks up on third screen during install on PPC 8500

Norberto Quintanar nquintanar at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 16 13:16:31 MST 2006

For the fourth or fifth time:

<http://www.shiner.info/?files/Yellow%20Dog%20Linux%204>

--- Bill Perrotta <billperrotta at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Where can i download these kernels Olaf?
>
> Bill Perrotta <billperrotta at yahoo.com> wrote: ok but the weird
> thing was when i kept trying to force it to take ydl 2.1 for some
> reason it freezes up but i kept trying and that version installed
> successfully once. I have no idea why but after that i set it up as
> an nfs server and it worked perfectly.but i reformatted the hd with
> os9 and now i can't get it to install again.
>
> Olaf Neumann <neumann.o at t-online.de> wrote: Hello to all!
>
> Well, I have also a PPC 8500 with all Parts, that where
> inside from the Apple.
>
> I had the same Problems with ydl 3.0 and 4.0 .
>
> The Problem is the Kermel, what is used to get the System
> installed.
>
> You will not get the Problem with the Installation solved
> by your self, you need a modified Kernel to install
> succesfull.
>
> Somebody made for the install of ydl 4.0 a Kernel to install,
> what I have used for a  successfull Installation.
>
> The Problem seens to be, that the (Install)Kernel from the
> Install-CD does not support the MESH-SCSI Controller, what is
> in the PPC 8500.
>
> In between i tried also Mandrake, where you can select for
> for your Controller a Driver, if you have Problems, that the
> Media wont get found.
>
> That is the Reason, why I believe, that the (Install)Kernel
> for ydl 3.0 and 4.0 does not support the MESH-SCSI Controller.
>

> Regards
> Olaf Neumann

--Norberto Quintanar

"You belong to something bigger. From birth. And your life is spent rediscovering the underlying principles, through various players -- coaches, mentors, teachers, spouses, kids. It's in your genes. Your responsibility. Destiny. Is all on you.  Lead, follow, or get out of the way."
--Norberto Quintanar