more multimedia stuff (RealPlayer, etc.)

Paul Higgins higg0008 at tc.umn.edu
Wed Nov 22 23:24:22 MST 2006

I've posted a few times about the (limited) success I've had in getting
various types of multimedia to work in YDL.  In particular, I figured out a
way to get some Flash animations and banners to work on many websites (using
the Firefox browser--see my previous posts).

Anyway, I was just checking out the IMDB website this evening to view a couple
trailers, but haven't had much luck.  IMDB provides several options for
streaming: usually WMV, QuickTime, and RealPlayer.  WMV and QT are pretty
much impossible under YDL (Micro$haft won't release a PPC plugin for WMV, and
likewise Apple won't release a generic Unix QT).  RealPlayer does work for me
on x86 Linux; I installed the RealPlayer for x86 Debian (RealPlayer 10 Gold,
I think) and the plugin works great with Firefox.  Has anyone had luck with
streaming video using the PPC version of RealPlayer, specifically the browser
plugin?

I can vouch that the version of RealPlayer that I currently have installed
(10.0.4) does work really well for streaming audio; I use it all the time to
listen to various live streams.  I just wish that video worked as well.
Recently I found a newer version of RealPlayer (10.0.5), so maybe I'll try
installing that.  Unfortunately, I think that the previous RealPlayer has to
be manually uninstalled first (it's not available through yum, Synaptic, or
any other automated installer).

Thanks,
-PRH