YDL 4.1, dependency hell, codecs

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Wed Jan 24 00:12:10 MST 2007

Hi Paul

How ya doin?

If you want to point yum.conf to someplace useful, you could do worse
than point to freshrpms.
This site always worked for me when I was fiddling with YDL 4.x.

Paul, do you know how to read the YDL mirrors as well as say reading
the morning paper?

If you do, then writing your own yum.conf is pretty easy because then
you know where all the mirrors are which you can use to support
4.0/4.1.  Of course you have to make a decision within yum.conf as to
which version of YDL you want yum.conf to point to.  Kai, has advised
that yum.conf point only to one version of YDL within yum.conf.
However, once that decision has been made there is no reason why you
can't have yum.conf refer to as many mirrors containing say 4.0 as
you wish.

Remember that the difference between 4.0 and 4.1 is great; so either
stick with 4.0 or 4.1.  Of course, you may be in a situation that one
machine works best with 4.0 but another works best with 4.1.  In that
situation, there is no reason why the yum.conf on those machines
cannot point to all the appropriate mirrors available unique to their
requirements.

However, if you want to move onto what is current you could try
Fedora Core 5 or 6; download the ppc versions.  The advantage is that
as these programs are current as the designers of the programs which
interest you (and many others) have whole new versions and may
actually work better than what you are dealing with.  The upside is
that many of the whizbang features are available within FC 5/6; the
problem is that the specific support required for certain kinds of
Mac hardware may not be.

Good Luck... Derick.