YDL 4.1, dependency hell, codecs

Paul Higgins higg0008 at tc.umn.edu
Tue Jan 23 17:18:57 MST 2007

Hi, everyone:

Has anyone other than me noticed a lot of dependency hell when using yum in
YDL 4.1?  Nearly everything I've tried to install has numerous problems.  At
some point I'll probably have the nerve to try compiling some of this stuff
from scratch, or resolving the dependencies manually, but as for using yum,
it appears that a lot of even the official repos have dependency
problems--usually involving not even having the needed dependencies.  Could
someone who's having more success than me please share their /etc/yum.conf?

Also, I've noticed that several codecs needed to play some very common
multimedia files (like .mov) are missing from Totem and other players, which
is strange, since they were there in YDL 4.0.  Any suggestions on getting
these in a reasonably easy manner?  I've done some searching and found it
rather frustrating.

Thanks,
-PRH