help with x server after installing ydl-4 on a b&w g3

Paul Higgins higg0008 at tc.umn.edu
Sat Mar 3 11:52:56 MST 2007

I wish I could help with the X server part of your problem, but that's a
little over my head right now.  FWIW, I've never had an X server problem with
any version of YDL.  My most recent installs were on two iBooks: G3 and G4
models.  Both have ATI video cards, notorious for their lack of Linux support
(you can thank ATI for that).  You are installing the latest YDL (4.1),
right?

Anyway, you should really check your media, because that's the first thing to
rule out.  If you still have the original ISOs on a hard drive somewhere, you
can check them from a terminal by simply typing "md5sum
[name_of_ISO_here.iso]" and hitting return.  This works on terminals in both
Linux and OS X.  I'm pretty sure that there's a way to check the ISO on a
burned CD, but I can't remember what that is.  Anyway, it's a good idea to
keep your original ISOs on a removable drive so that you can burn them for
friends, etc.

I always check md5sums of ISOs I download, and then make sure that all burned
discs get verified after burning.  Then I know for sure that I can rule out
data corruption if there's a problem.

One other thing: make sure you download the YDL install guide and print it out
so that it's available during an install.  It has some useful tips.

-PRH