How to dual boot with MacOs X and yellowdog ppc

Steven Didier steve.didier at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 23:43:33 MST 2007

Miklos,
I have experimented with many Linux distros, including Yellow Dog, in
a dual boot environment on my G4 866 MGHz TiPowerbook and then again
on a G5 iMac. I still use Linux/Unix (Suse 10.2, Ubuntu 6.10 and
FreeBSD) in emulation environments on my intel iMac.
YellowDog is a great distro for your iBook but you won't be able to
get it to boot off of a usb drive since Apple did not provide support
for that method in Open Firmware. It is possible to keep the boot
environment (yaboot) in a small partition on your iBooks hard drive
and run off the usb drive with the rest of the linux environment. I
believe you can search the Ubuntu forums for guidance on the
specifics. Or maybe the gurus of this list such as Derrick Centeno
can help you. Otherwise I would suggest a firewire drive for the most
ease of use on installation.
Good luck!
Steve Didier