Ron Rogers Jr. CronoCloud at mchsi.com
Sun Apr 8 15:14:39 MDT 2007

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 16:32:52 -0400
"dustin letwin" <cracksatan666 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Its just I read something that made
> it seem like you wont be able to do it without a HDtv.
> Now if I can do this with my TV, you say I still have to do a
> text install.

Yes, you can use YDL on a SDTV and yes you'll have to do a text
based install.

> It does seem harder to do that so I was thinking
> about doing the installation on my big screen HDTV, but after
> that I want to be able to use everything that comes with
> yellow dog Linux on my other TV.

Doing a text install will be like following a recipe. As long
as  you can do that, you'll be able to install YDL via SDTV just
fine.  I run X at 640x448 on my PS2 Linux kit and I can tell
you that some applications won't work well at a SDTV resolution,
especially those with lots of menu bars with lots of icons in
them.  They'll still run of course, just not work well.

> I am definitely a newbie at
> all of this, I got my first PC in my house like last year, so
> I have never installed an operating system on anything, but I
> think I have a good enough idea of what I'm doing, I just
> wanted to make sure I wasn't waisting my time. It seems pretty
> awesome to have an operating system on my PS3,

My first exposure to Linux was via the PS2 Linux kit, and I felt
pretty much the same way.

> Oh, also I need to know if I will be able
> to connect to the Internet wirelessly, thats the way I use it
> now on my PS3 but I read an article that was put out before
> the PS3 was released that said you have to have the Internet
> connected with an Ethernet cable to use the internet through
> Linux on the PS3. I have my wireless signal coming from a
> router in another room. I hope this isn't another problem. I'm
> going to post this on the forum too. Thanks and happy Easter.

The PS3's built in wireless isn't supported, yet.  But you can
always use a Wireless Bridge like the Linksys WET11 or the WGA54.

CronoCloud (Ron Rogers Jr.)