KDE and E17

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Tue Apr 24 15:30:09 MDT 2007

Keep in mind Jim, if I may, that the PowerPC Macs are essentially "has
beens".  Keeping them around will become more costly as parts become
more scarce.  Sooner or later we are going to have to let them pass just
as many in prior generations let go of their Model T Ford.  Of course,
the decision to each individual to either move up to the Cell or switch
entirely to Intel is a question each person has to address on their
own.  Hopefully each person will research the details on their own for
considering sticking with the current PowerPC universe, meaning the Cell
and beyond, developing a comprehension supporting why such a decision is
important or otherwise decide to move on to the Intel based universe.

As has been discussed here and elsewhere there exists much more support
for Linux systems running on Intel.  Recent decisions by some distros --
like Ubuntu -- to cease supporting the PowerPC merely underlines the point.

For a commercial company like TSS, the problem of keeping these aging
systems is a serious issue.  Which one to keep; which to let go?
Although TSS for all it's skill, remains a vibrant though small company,
I'm sure that it doesn't have the storage or warehouse capacity of Dell,
Apple or HP.  Even if it did have comparably enormous resources they'd
still be a user out there with just that particular version of a PowerPC
which may not be in storage any longer or may have had it's circuits
fried just that week and therefore unavailable!

As long as we hang on to our PowerPC macs we are all on a slippery and
decidedly downward facing slope.  Whatever each one of us decides should
be along the lines of understanding why each one of us chose the PowerPC
architecture in the first place.  Although I cannot make the move to the
Cell just now, I do well understand why I've stuck with both the PowerPC
and YDL over all these years.

The Cell is an outstanding piece of technology which I intend to own as
soon as I'm able.  In the meantime, I'll use YDL 5 for the Mac as long
as it is produced for the machine I use.

TSS deserves to survive and compete continuing even more marvelous
achievements -- if it becomes the case that my machine is not on the
list of supported systems even in the near future, I will certainly
understand.

All is not bleak however, there are some pretty brilliant people who've
managed to extend the life of their systems with YDL and some solid
imagination. So we'll all see where this all goes.