future of PPC (was: KDE and E17)

Paul Higgins higg0008 at tc.umn.edu
Tue Apr 24 17:26:20 MDT 2007

Thanks for your thoughts on this, Derick.  I recall an earlier posting of
yours that was similar, but never got around to adding anything to it myself.

You're certainly right about the future for PPC Macs, though some like the G5s
will probably be supported for a while yet.  And the non-commercial distros
like Debian (which Ubuntu is based on) still support Macs which are way past
their prime.  For the real hardcore Linux fans and those who dislike the
Debian way of doing things, there's always PLD Linux, which is a Fedora-based
distro like YDL; PLD supports some *ancient* machines (their main PPC build
machine was a 604-based box like a 9600 last I checked!).  Wikipedia has a
good page on PLD, by the way.  For the record, I'm mostly a Debian user,
particularly on x86.

Do you (or does anyone else) know what the future is for PPC at this point?  I
know that the PPC has been a major player in the server world, but when it
comes to consumer-level machines, I'm not seeing much else beyond the PS3
right now.  There was a PPC motherboard called the Pegasos II that may still
exist, but that's about all, I think.  I wish I could be a little more
optimistic about the future of PPC, but I'm not seeing a lot of activity
lately.

I just had a new machine built for us at work--a dual Opteron (AMD) server
motherboard built into a tower case, with a removable drive bay and a few
other goodies, running WinXP and Debian.  It's our primary scientific imaging
computer (we're a neuroscience lab).  So that gives some idea, I think, of
what is practical for us in an educational environment where you have to be a
little "safe" in how you spend your $$ (you're usually amortizing a machine
over at least 2-3 years).  Note, however, that I did go with a processor
*other* than Intel for lots of reasons (speed being one of them).

I think the fact that PPCs still rule in the server world bodes well for Linux
on PPC in the near-term.  However, getting various things working that are
based on specific hardware (especially badly-documented or undocumented Apple
hardware) may be tricky.  I'm beginning to hone my skills when it comes to
compiling from source, etc. as I can see the day coming soon when that will
probably be necessary if I want to keep around any of my PPC Macs.

Based on what I'm *not* seeing in the PPC world (no consumer PPC machines
other than the PS3), I'm sad to say that my next personal machine will
probably be a DIY-built Opteron or Athlon64.

Regards,
-PRH