future of PPC (was: KDE and E17)

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 20:31:09 MDT 2007

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 18:26:20 -0500 Paul Higgins <higg0008 at tc.umn.edu>
wrote:

> Do you (or does anyone else) know what the future is for PPC at this
> point?  I know that the PPC has been a major player in the server
> world, but when it comes to consumer-level machines, I'm not seeing
> much else beyond the PS3 right now.

Ironically enough, the X-Box 360 uses three PPC cores.  I may be wrong,
but I think the Wii is also PPC.  The Cell on the PS3 counts as PPC as
it has a PPC core, which is why YDL runs on it.  So PPC owns the games
console market now.

Microsoft moved to PPC and Apple moved to Intel.  The world just got
stranger.