KDE and E17

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 20:49:46 MDT 2007

I'll skip over the installing 5 over the top of 4 on a Pismo, as I
don't have enough experience there.

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 00:37:21 -0400 Ted Goranson <tedg at alum.mit.edu>
wrote:

> >  > - If I do, Terrasoft's Yum servers will keep KDE current despite
> >past history
> >>
> >KDE is it's own project.  Surely you don't expect for TSS to support
> >KDE if KDE.org decides like Fedora or Ubuntu or others to lessen or
> >stop supporting PowerPC systems, do you?
>
> Why would I think this? Well, because when you said the VERY SAME
> THING last year, Kai corrected you and said:
>
> "It is in fact our job to rebuild KDE for YDL, not that of the KDE
> team."

While projects written in C (E17) and C++ (KDE) will usually compile
fine for PPC, some parts of these projects may be written in assembler
for speed, or otherwise use specific features of specific processor
families.  At the moment KDE compiles fine on PPC, but the KDE team may
decide in future to not support PPC, but to use Intel specific
features.  That is entirely up to the KDE team.  TSS, as a PPC only
distro maker can port specific projects to YDL, and that should
include full support for PPC features where appropriate.

As an E17 developer, I can tell you that some parts of E17 are
optimised for x86 using assembler, and that those parts are lagging
slightly in their support for PPC, but PPC support is still important
enough for the E17 team that there is some.  No intention of dropping
support any time.  In fact, we intend to add Cell support soon.

I can't speak for the KDE team.

> Since it is on the distro, I assume YDL has done this. The question
> is whether YDL will keep it current? Recently Kai also said:
>
> "with E17, I will never again touch KDE."

I believe that was Kai speaking personally.  He is hooked on E17 and
will never use KDE again.  It says nothing about KDE support in YDL,
just what you should expect to see on Kais desktop.

> >- Or I could go with E17, in which case, I can STILL use KDE apps
> >(like Konq and Koffice) and that I can put the menubar at the top of
> >the screen as I can in KDE
>
> In other words, suppose I go with this magical E17 (which is still in
> beta). Desktops aren't why I come to Linux anyway. Can I still
> install Kword and Konqueror (surely yes) AND have the menubar show at
> the top?

I use Konsole all the time in E17, KDE apps work fine, as do GNOME
apps.  I'm not sure what you mean by "menubar at the top", last time I
checked it was GNOME that had a menubar at the top, not KDE.  KDE
defaulted to having a panel at the bottom with a menu applet on the
extreme left of that panel.

If you want to use KDE, just use KDE.  Give E17 a try first though.