KDE and E17

Ted Goranson tedg at alum.mit.edu
Mon Apr 23 22:37:21 MDT 2007

Derick. Thanks. Some additional queries below.

Derick Centeno wrote on 4/23/07:

>  > I assume that if I wish,
>>
>>  - I can install my 5 over my 4, or alternatively on my 4 partition
>>
>Why not?  Anaconda, will see that a Linux partition exists and ask what
>you wish to do.  Before you write over it however make sure you have
>backups of selected files.

The question included two options; 1) that I can update from 4 to 5
preserving settings and such from 4 or 2) that I can obliterate 4 and
install 5 on the same partition. Sorry I wasn't clear. I was actually
asking whether option 1 IA viable.

>  > - I'd want to do so on my Pismo because 5 is faster, more robust and
>>  has some features and hardware support 4 doesn't

Derick, you skipped over this. Does in fact add more features and
hardware support (for a Pismo) than 4, which actually works well
enough as it is.

>  > - I can install it with KDE as a default
>  >
>KDE is not the default window manager for YDL 5; E17 is.

Let me rephrase the question. Its absolutely clear from the YDL
website that KDE is included. Experience with anaconda is that KDE
can be selected, as is the case with 4. So this point I'm just
affirming.

>  > - If I do, Terrasoft's Yum servers will keep KDE current despite
>past history
>>
>KDE is it's own project.  Surely you don't expect for TSS to support KDE
>if KDE.org decides like Fedora or Ubuntu or others to lessen or stop
>supporting PowerPC systems, do you?

Why would I think this? Well, because when you said the VERY SAME
THING last year, Kai corrected you and said:

"It is in fact our job to rebuild KDE for YDL, not that of the KDE team."

Since it is on the distro, I assume YDL has done this. The question
is whether YDL will keep it current? Recently Kai also said:

"with E17, I will never again touch KDE."

All of the above building to the ultimate question you skipped over:

>- Or I could go with E17, in which case, I can STILL use KDE apps
>(like Konq and Koffice) and that I can put the menubar at the top of
>the screen as I can in KDE

In other words, suppose I go with this magical E17 (which is still in
beta). Desktops aren't why I come to Linux anyway. Can I still
install Kword and Konqueror (surely yes) AND have the menubar show at
the top?

If you don't know, fine to say so, Derick. Maybe someone else does.

-Ted