KDE and E17

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Mon Apr 23 21:23:06 MDT 2007

Ted Goranson wrote:
> Now that presumably public availability of YDL 5 Mac is only days
> away, I have a question about changes.
>
> I assume that if I wish,
>
> - I can install my 5 over my 4, or alternatively on my 4 partition

Why not?  Anaconda, will see that a Linux partition exists and ask what
you wish to do.  Before you write over it however make sure you have
backups of selected files.
> - I'd want to do so on my Pismo because 5 is faster, more robust and
> has some features and hardware support 4 doesn't
>
> - I can install it with KDE as a default

KDE is not the default window manager for YDL 5; E17 is.  The reason why
is stated clearly on the TSS website.
If you don't want E17 or prefer KDE it is available as packages to be
installed later if you so choose.
I have no intention of starting a flame war on the subject, but e17 is
optimized for the YDL 5 environment.
KDE is not, nor is Gnome.
It might help to remember that YDL 5 with e17 really flies on the PS3.
YDL 5 however with E17 running on Macs, in my opinion makes these older
PowerPC systems appear new; it really is amazing.  However, I've always
preferred the enlightenment environment over KDE or Gnome.
Enlightenment never in my experience, got in the way of serious
computing, but somehow gave a nice artful flavor of enhancement, without
"bloat".

The other window environments can be installed of course, but Mac users
should keep in mind that their systems of choice are aging while what
window managers now do require more processing power.  Again e17 makes
the Macs out there look great; however many persons are really hooked on
the associated KDE programs.  Although I've always avoided using them, I
can appreciate that many will insist on KDE and it's associates.
Everyone has a right to choose whatever they believe is best for them;
Linux remains open source after all even if support for Mac PowerPC
systems is declining.

> - If I do, Terrasoft's Yum servers will keep KDE current despite past history

KDE is it's own project.  Surely you don't expect for TSS to support KDE
if KDE.org decides like Fedora or Ubuntu or others to lessen or stop
supporting PowerPC systems, do you?  TSS is a commercial enterprise,
kde.org is not.  In my thinking it doesn't make sense that TSS will take
on the work of doing what kde.org or gnome.org won't do.

Tweaking or improving a window manager so that it functions acceptably
well within a distribution is one thing; constructing a window manager
completely from scratch is a completely different matter and quite
unrealistic in my view.  Remember that Apple struggled for years with
various earlier incarnations of it's OS before hitting upon OS X; I
wouldn't wish that floundering upon anyone.  So why ask for it?

There exists a variety of window managers to choose from to use YDL 5
with.  E17 is the optimal choice; individuals are free to choose as they
wish.

Installed apps will appear within the e17 pop-up menu structure; I
believe you will have to go through some hoops to get KDE application
icons recognized within e17 though.  I'm not sure on that point.