future of PPC

Larry Cafiero larry.cafiero at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 00:37:57 MDT 2007

Throwing in two cents:

I am relatively new to GNU/Linux, but I have been running Yellow Dog 3.0 on
both a PowerMacintosh G3 minitower and on a PowerBook G3 (I am a
dyed-in-the-wool Mac user who believes Apple hardware -- especially the
legacy beige and black hardware -- is the best on the planet, bar none).

To its credit, Yellow Dog has been pretty faithful to the Mac over the
years. However, and understandably so, since this hardware that essentially
won't die is becoming obsolete -- even being abandoned by Apple itself -- it
would behoove someone or some company (TerraSoft?) to at least provide a
distro that will work on this legacy hardware and let those of us who
appreciate the legacy hardware -- "legacy" in the same way that the '57
Chevy or the '65 Mustang are legacy automobiles -- to continue using and
tinkering with it.

So to paraphrase Mark Twain, "Reports of the PPC's demise are somewhat
premature."

Larry Cafiero
Editor/Publisher
Open Source Reporter