KDE and E17

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 22:09:21 MDT 2007

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 23:21:49 -0400 Ted Goranson <tedg at alum.mit.edu>
wrote:

> David Seikel wrote on 4/25/07:
> >I'm not sure what you mean by "menubar at the top", last time I
> >checked it was GNOME that had a menubar at the top, not KDE.
>
> Thanks for the response David.
>
> By "menubar," I meant not the task bar or kicker or dock. I meant the
> bar that in OSX is at the top of the screen and called, well, a
> menubar. If you don't know it, it's the thing in Windows that is at
> the top of an application's window. KDE has an option to place that
> Mac-style instead of 'doze-style.

I understand now.  No such option in E17.  I have no idea what happens
when a KDE app running under E17 tries to do that.  E17 is a window
manager, it treats the contents of the windows as entirely up to the
app and just leaves it alone.  KDE is a desktop environment, it does
much more than manage windows.  On the other hand, KDE's desktop
environment is made up of lots of programs, and it may be possible to
run those programs in other window managers.  I have had success in the
past running KDE's panel under Enlightenment.

On the gripping hand, if you want to bring all of KDE along with you
when you run E17, you might as well just run KDE.

Give E17 a try anyway.  B-)