KDE and E17

Kai Staats kstaats at terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Apr 28 19:13:13 MDT 2007

Ted,

> The question included two options; 1) that I can update from 4 to 5
> preserving settings and such from 4 or

If you have a sep /home dir in your partition table, yes. This conducts a
complete /boot, /swap & /root re-install but preserves the /home dir. (Still,
always backup your /home dir.) I did this from v4.x to v5 on my 15" PB. If
not, then it is advised that you re-install everything.

But to use the "upgrade" function in the installer is not recommended.

> Let me rephrase the question. Its absolutely clear from the YDL
> website that KDE is included. Experience with anaconda is that KDE
> can be selected, as is the case with 4. So this point I'm just
> affirming.

KDE is included on the DVD but not installed by default.

> "It is in fact our job to rebuild KDE for YDL, not that of the KDE team."
>
> Since it is on the distro, I assume YDL has done this. The question
> is whether YDL will keep it current? Recently Kai also said:

Yes.

> All of the above building to the ultimate question you skipped over:
> >- Or I could go with E17, in which case, I can STILL use KDE apps
> >(like Konq and Koffice) and that I can put the menubar at the top of
> >the screen as I can in KDE
>
> In other words, suppose I go with this magical E17 (which is still in
> beta). Desktops aren't why I come to Linux anyway. Can I still
> install Kword and Konqueror (surely yes) AND have the menubar show at
> the top?
>
> If you don't know, fine to say so, Derick. Maybe someone else does.

Yes. I use Kmail under E17. You need only install the correct packages.

kai