KDE and E17

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Sun Apr 29 00:07:56 MDT 2007

Ted, if you don't mind I'll respond between your previous comments.
> Derick. Thanks. Some additional queries below.
>
> Derick Centeno wrote on 4/23/07:
>
>>  > I assume that if I wish,
>>
>>>  - I can install my 5 over my 4, or alternatively on my 4 partition
>>>

>> Why not?  Anaconda, will see that a Linux partition exists and ask what
>> you wish to do.  Before you write over it however make sure you have
>> backups of selected files.
>>

> The question included two options; 1) that I can update from 4 to 5
> preserving settings and such from 4 or 2) that I can obliterate 4 and
> install 5 on the same partition. Sorry I wasn't clear. I was actually
> asking whether option 1 IA viable.

Option 1 IA what???

I'll try to salvage the concept of preserving settings within Linux.
Preserving settings within Linux varies according to how well one
understands the storage strategies employed by various programs.  For
instance Claws Mail uses a system rather unlike Thunderbird, and so if
someone was interested in using their respective settings within a new
Linux installation one would have to understand, very well, how these
different programs handle their data.

The challenge of maintaining settings doesn't end there:  different
desktop and window managers such as KDE, Gnome, Enlightenment and others
each use different features of Linux to do what they do.  There exists a
structure of normally invisible directories and files called
collectively "dot files" as in . files.  The advantage of their being
normally invisible is that the common user can't access and destroy
his/her own system as easily as say Windows users can.  Many window and
desktop managers as well as applications -- such as email and other
programs -- use these dot files and folders in storing settings.  So
merely backing up visible files would not preserve the settings you
created and wish to preserve.

>>  > - I'd want to do so on my Pismo because 5 is faster, more robust and
>>
>>>  has some features and hardware support 4 doesn't
>>>

> Derick, you skipped over this. Does in fact add more features and
> hardware support (for a Pismo) than 4, which actually works well
> enough as it is.

I don't know the particulars of what is supported regarding your Pismo,
sorry.  YDL 5 does a fine job though of making the macs look really
really fast.
I love how it works on my 1.67 GHz Aluminum PB.
>>  > - I can install it with KDE as a default
>>  >
>> KDE is not the default window manager for YDL 5; E17 is.
>>

> Let me rephrase the question. Its absolutely clear from the YDL
> website that KDE is included. Experience with anaconda is that KDE
> can be selected, as is the case with 4. So this point I'm just
> affirming.

Ok.  So you understand that KDE is available and you merely wanted that
confirmed.

>>  > - If I do, Terrasoft's Yum servers will keep KDE current despite
>> past history
>>

>> KDE is it's own project.  Surely you don't expect for TSS to support KDE
>> if KDE.org decides like Fedora or Ubuntu or others to lessen or stop
>> supporting PowerPC systems, do you?
>>

> Why would I think this? Well, because when you said the VERY SAME
> THING last year, Kai corrected you and said:
>
> "It is in fact our job to rebuild KDE for YDL, not that of the KDE team."
>
> Since it is on the distro, I assume YDL has done this. The question
> is whether YDL will keep it current? Recently Kai also said:
>
> "with E17, I will never again touch KDE."

Kai's statement regarding e17 expresses his experience and appreciation
of how well it works for him, which is saying quite a bit given he is or
was a committed KDE user.
As far as Kai's correction of me, that will happen occasionally as his
sense of providing service and conceptualization of what service is
expresses a generousity and consideration of customers as users, beyond
standard business practice.  In my view, his uniqueness in this regard
in not sufficiently appreciated.  Many companies will not go as far as
TSS and what he drives TSS to be.

Despite another friend's, Norberto's minor rant, it is telling that TSS
has provided consistent service as a commercial entity maintaining a
high level of quality supporting the PPC and now the Cell, whereas other
distros such as Ubuntu -- (which others praised so loudly in the past)
which are non-commercial appear to be abandoning PPC support entirely
without so much as an explanation or mention.  There is a real
difference regarding what commercial and non-commercial entities can and
may do; it is not easy for users to keep the distinctions clear but it
is important to intuit and interpret properly.
> All of the above building to the ultimate question you skipped over:
>

>> - Or I could go with E17, in which case, I can STILL use KDE apps
>> (like Konq and Koffice) and that I can put the menubar at the top of
>> the screen as I can in KDE
>>

> In other words, suppose I go with this magical E17 (which is still in
> beta). Desktops aren't why I come to Linux anyway. Can I still
> install Kword and Konqueror (surely yes) AND have the menubar show at
> the top?
>
> If you don't know, fine to say so, Derick. Maybe someone else does.
>
> -Ted

e17 isn't magical; it is in my opinion a nice piece of work.

Besides Kai, as the President of TSS made a statement regarding e17, I
for one would pay attention to.  Magic didn't catch his attention, my
bet is solid engineering did.

As for myself, I try to stick with what I am sure of as best as I may.
When I come across something unfamiliar I believe it is best to leave it
to others to address the issue of concern.  In my view, it's more efficient.
Usually, on this list anyway, people step in all the time to fill in the
gaps or topics I don't address or "skip".  People like David for
instance.  :-)
That's not so bad, is it?

Best wishes... Derick.