YDL Future

Ted Goranson tedg at alum.mit.edu
Tue May 1 22:36:06 MDT 2007

Let me preface this by saying that I am personally interested in the
future of PPC CBE; I will be buying a PS3 just to experiment with the
YDL-supported development stuff. And my company will almost certainly
enter into a strategic partnership with some CBE partner, possibly
TerraSoft.

That said, I have to give up on the YDL 5 for Apple. The PPC machine
I run Linux on is a trusty Pismo. It isn't my main machine, but the
one I feel most comfortable with when creative. I had YDL 4 on it and
was quite happy except for the fact that TerraSoft sort of abandoned
ship on the RPMs. YDL 4 had no sound support on that machine, but it
didn't matter to me at all. Everything else just worked.

What I expected with v5 was much the same experience, plus perhaps a
few extra refinements. I also expected KDE to be available as an
option, though I was willing to give E17 a try. And if all went well,
I was prepared to buy a YDL.net account to have access to the
expected RPMs for both the Pismo personally and the company PS3.

But I will be erasing v5 from my disk, going back to v4 and getting
someone here to build the PPC RPMs I need.

Why?

- v5 doesn't support sleep. If you close the Pismo, the machine locks
in a way that while it doesn't ever wake, it uses battery. v4 just
worked. This alone makes v5 unusable for me.

- the installer is a mess. You have no options whatever. You simply
install what TerraSoft thinks you should have and use the add/remove
facility afterward to adjust. The only problem is that "remove" of
even the most trivial thing is likely to remove something else
important, forcing you to, well, start the entire process over.

- the Emacs (which you have to add) has almost none of the packages
from that ecosphere.

- KDE is an option. But don't be fooled. Its not the full KDE, what
KDE considers its core suite. This is Koffice (word processor,
spreadsheet, presenter, database, and slew of other stuff) and
Kontact (mail, calendar, contacts, notes, news, sync). It looks like
most but not all of Kontact is included, but NONE of Koffice.

I should note here that if you use KDE at all, the reason probably is
because the apps integrate so wonderfully with each other, Konqueror
(the unique file manager/web browser combination) and the development
suite. Also, if you are a Mac user, KDE allows you to place the
menubar at the top where it belongs and also to rearrange the window
widgets to be where Mac users expect them to be.

So having KDE without the core apps plus Konquerer, well, it just
ain't KDE. Not even close. YDL 5 has neither Konqueror nor any piece
of Koffice. Someone might miss the point here and respond that I just
use the Microsoft Office clone, OpenOffice.

No thanks. Not only does Kword integrate better, it is the ONLY
framebased text editor in the open source world. Its a big
difference, just by itself. But look how each frame can be a
component from another KDE app. I would even have used it under E17,
but that's not possible. No Scribus either, so no high end page
layout.

So here's what I propose to do personally. I'll probably do the whole
bit with TerraSoft on the CBE. But for my loved Pismo, I'll go back
to v4 and pay someone to teach me Konstruct, or go with custom
building every week or so.

-Ted