future of PPC

Kai Staats kstaats at terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue May 1 21:27:56 MDT 2007

Lincoln,

> And I can see the point that if Terrasoft is interested in the small
> boutique market of providing software for old Macs, then they should.  I
> guess I interpreted the original message as saying that Terrasoft would be
> foolish to stop supporting old Macs, which I think is questionable.  But if
> they have found their niche market, then that's very cool.  Nobody else is
> doing it!

Terra Soft intends to support the PowerPC Macs as long as we are able to do so
without more effort than its worth. As the Fedora core moves forward, it is
increasingly challenging to get even X working on an iMac G3. At some point,
we just have to walk away. But not yet ...

As for how we make our living, we are the leader in Linux for Cell, working
with Sony, Mercury, and IBM. We are paid to develop versions of YDL for OEM
products in the form of Board Support Packages.

YDL for PS3 and Macs helps build our userbase so that more apps may be ported
and maintained. It keeps things fresh, with an interest in a wider audience
than just embedded systems or HPC clusters.

And of course, we sell PS3s. Lot's of them :)

kai