future of PPC

LINCOLN RUTLEDGE rutledge.50 at osu.edu
Tue May 1 11:58:16 MDT 2007

Hi Larry,
Maybe I wasn't gentle enough in my previous message, I didn't mean to flame anybody, even Apple :)  I apologize.

And I can see the point that if Terrasoft is interested in the small boutique market of providing software for old Macs, then they should.  I guess I interpreted the original message as saying that Terrasoft would be foolish to stop supporting old Macs, which I think is questionable.  But if they have found their niche market, then that's very cool.  Nobody else is doing it!

I will leave the question of Apple's product pricing and model lifetimes alone :)

As far as models supported by alternative operating systems, that is something that will largely be determined in the old Open Source Darwinian fashion.  When nobody is fixing bugs to make stuff work on big endian machines or making sure stuff not only builds but links and works on PPC, then their practical usability will start to fade like the 68k's did.  Luckily there are still folks making sure things work on such machines (YellowDog, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Debian).

And maybe someday I will have had it and ship Larry my sputtering iBook :)  I hope you like stickers!

Linc