Pirut & Pup problem

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Sun May 20 03:05:27 MDT 2007

Thanks, Dave.  My replies follow your comments.
>> Recently within YDL 5 for the Mac, I've noticed that when I select
>> either Pirut or pup (Software Updater) a dialog box appears stating:
>>
>> Invalid call to subprocess.
>>
>> Does anyone know what is going on?
>>

> No idea about this.  My first guess is - running as root?

Didn't consider that, I'll have to review how I use it.  However, I'm
very sure that I'm in user mode when they are invoked.
>> Also I've noticed that logging out is a real effort.  When I do:
>> System -> Logout, the appropriate dialog box appears but it takes
>> forever to proceed to completion.  Instead of ending normally, a
>> dialog box appears announcing log out problems.  Any ideas on how to
>> resolve that?
>>
>> David?
>>

> I think that is because of the YDL use of nautilus.  Nautilus is being
> used as a temporary supplier of desktop icons because E17 didn't
> support them at the time.  Nautilus is being run in "take over the
> desktop" mode, something that I suspect it only expects to do when
> running under GNOME.
>
> What I think is going on is that nautilus is not listening for the
> usual "close yourself" signal, but instead is listening for something
> that only GNOME sends at logout.  So E17 sends the usual "close
> yourself" signal to all applications that are currently displaying
> windows, then waits for them to close.  Nautilus is waiting for GNOME
> to send the GNOME specific "logout" signal, ignores the "close yourself"
> signal, and sticks around.  E17 waits for a long time for all those
> windows to close before complaining that some haven't.  Normally the
> applications would quickly respond to "close yourself", close all their
> windows quickly, and E17 quickly logs out quickly.
>
> So if you manually exit out of nautilus, E17 can logout properly.
>
> Desktop icon support was added to E17 a few days ago, but I haven't
> tried it yet.

Thanks for the explanation Dave.  I don't mind watching Nautilus get
throttled by e17 into compliance.
I'll probably have to wait for the next release or update to YDL before
I can see Nautilus obey on my desktop.
At least, I now know it's coming.