Pirut & Pup problem

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Sat May 19 23:37:43 MDT 2007

On Sat, 19 May 2007 15:12:57 -0400 Derick Centeno
<aguilarojo at verizon.net> wrote:

> Recently within YDL 5 for the Mac, I've noticed that when I select
> either Pirut or pup (Software Updater) a dialog box appears stating:
>
> Invalid call to subprocess.
>
> Does anyone know what is going on?

No idea about this.  My first guess is - running as root?

> Also I've noticed that logging out is a real effort.  When I do:
> System -> Logout, the appropriate dialog box appears but it takes
> forever to proceed to completion.  Instead of ending normally, a
> dialog box appears announcing log out problems.  Any ideas on how to
> resolve that?
>
> David?

I think that is because of the YDL use of nautilus.  Nautilus is being
used as a temporary supplier of desktop icons because E17 didn't
support them at the time.  Nautilus is being run in "take over the
desktop" mode, something that I suspect it only expects to do when
running under GNOME.

What I think is going on is that nautilus is not listening for the
usual "close yourself" signal, but instead is listening for something
that only GNOME sends at logout.  So E17 sends the usual "close
yourself" signal to all applications that are currently displaying
windows, then waits for them to close.  Nautilus is waiting for GNOME
to send the GNOME specific "logout" signal, ignores the "close yourself"
signal, and sticks around.  E17 waits for a long time for all those
windows to close before complaining that some haven't.  Normally the
applications would quickly respond to "close yourself", close all their
windows quickly, and E17 quickly logs out quickly.

So if you manually exit out of nautilus, E17 can logout properly.

Desktop icon support was added to E17 a few days ago, but I haven't
tried it yet.