Terra Soft Unifies Power Ecosystem with YDL v5.0.2: Announcement 14 June 2007

PeterH5322 peterh5322 at rattlebrain.com
Fri Jun 15 09:48:49 MDT 2007

> I have a Mac G-4 450 tower with 512 ram and plenty of room on a hard
> drive. I've tried before to get something installed and running w/o
> success. HONESTLY, what is the difficulty level of getting an
> installation up and running? Will it run from a remote external hard
> drive as once touted? If so, what configuration is needed to do that?
> How about from a flash drive?
> Finally, I have a G3 Pismo 400/512; will a current YDL run on it?

It has to be a "New World" Mac, so Lombard or B&W or better.

The easiest way is to follow the instructions in the installation manual
(surprise).

For my Mini, I alocated 1/2 of the HD to unused and 1/2 to Mac OS.

Then, I installed Mac OS.

Finally, I installed 5.0.1 from the DVD.

You can reverse these and install YDL first.

Ultimately, 1/2 and 1/2 turned out to be a poor use for my HD, so I did
it all over and gave 1/4 to unused and 3/4 to Mac OS.

Prior to that, for my desktops, I made several small drives, 20 GB each,
with 10 GB for 5.0.1 and 10 GB for Mac OS.

Dual boot works well, but it is only absolutely reliable if there is only
one hard drive, which is usually the case with a laptop, but is certainly
NOT the case for my desktops.

With a desktop with several HDs, you have to be very careful about
setting the default device, and the only sure method was to make the very
first drive the dual boot drive, which is what the manual suggests.

Bottom line ... YDL 5.0.1 is great, and 5.0.2 should be better.

The version of Firefox which is provided is old, and has some security
holes, but it does support the "usual suspect" plug-ins: Adblockplus,
Foxmarks, etcetera.

I actually prefer YDL on small, resource constrained machines, such as my
Mini.

I'll keep OS X on my 1.5 GB RAM, 3 TB storage desktops, and YDL/OS X dual
boot on my 512 MB/40 GB Mini, and possibly a Lombard or Pismo as well.