Where are the Repositories?

David Lowe doctorjlowe at verizon.net
Sun Jun 24 13:39:17 MDT 2007

Advance Thanks,

	I've been using OS X [with Fink] and Ubuntu linux for a few years
now.  I decided i would like to put some linux on my old PowerBook,
and preferably experiment with rpms to supplement my familiarity with
debs.  I finally got around to installing YDL 5.01, got online and
immediately upgraded to 5.02.

	So now that i'm ready to actually use it, i can't find any of the
programs that i actually want in the package manager:
1) BOINC
2) Battle for Wesnoth

	1) I see that BOINC is not available for linux/PPC.  Can somebody
recommend another utility to manage network computing for this
architecture?

	2) BfW is a great game, but has numerous dependencies.  Several of
these aren't in the package manager at all: libsdl1.2, libsdl-
image1.2, libsdl-mixer1.2, libsdl-net, libintl, and libfreetype2.
I'm hoping that SDL-devel includes libsdl and that freetype-devel
brings libfreetype2.  Does intltool provide libintl?  Also, i seem to
be having trouble installing the various SDL splitoffs.  Since the
package manager won't tell me explicitly what's in SDL-devel, i had
to try compiling Wesnoth to discover that sdl-image is not currently
installed.  This was disappointing to me, since Ubuntu's package
manager gives real detail on each package, not just vague
generalities.  Is there a repository somewhere that i can get
binaries or already configured sources for this kind of stuff?

	3) I got source from www.libsdl.org for the sdl-image package, but
it won't compile here due to mismatching versions [sdl-image download
is 1.2.10, while installed SDL is 1.2.9].  Does this mean i'll have
to go outside the package manager and re-install all SDL from source,
or how else might i handle this situation?

	So, as a newbie giving my two cents, i haven't found Package Manager
very useful - almost every search i've put into it has come up empty.

Using a rusty Amiga 4000T, a shiny PowerMac G5, & a homebuilt Ubuntu box

I hope that Schroedinger guy put some litter in here. Cat