Where are the Repositories?

Paul Higgins higg0008 at tc.umn.edu
Sun Jun 24 18:41:59 MDT 2007

Hi,

I wish I could help you on more of this stuff, but right now dealing with
dependency hell is far above my abilities.  Hopefully someone who is
knowledgeable will speak up.

In the meantime, it might be helpful if a few people would kindly share their
repository lists with us.  I'm still using YDL 4.1 on my iBook G4, and would
definitely appreciate seeing /etc/yum.conf files for 4.1.  I'm planning on
upgrading to YDL 5 shortly, so a listing for YDL 5 would be great also.

As for your experiences with PPC Linux: I run a Debian x86 machine at work,
and by comparison, I'm rather unimpressed with the status of PPC Linux (as
far as desktop Linux goes, anyway).  Some of the problem has less to do with
poor support from the Linux community and more to do with the many
proprietary formats that still rule the online world.  I'm thinking in
particular of Adobe Flash, which may be the most abused proprietary format on
the Web today.  As you probably already know, there is currently no Flash
player available for PPC Linux, though you might want to look here for a
possible future solution:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnash
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UIRA

If this situation continues, it doesn't really bode well for PPC Linux as a
desktop solution (e.g. anything with a GUI).  This is really unfortunate
because we are now getting to the point where Apple and other vendors are or
will be abandoning the PPC platform entirely.

Regards,
-PRH