Where are the Repositories?

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Mon Jun 25 16:07:23 MDT 2007

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 12:39:17 -0700
David Lowe <doctorjlowe at verizon.net> wrote:

> Advance Thanks,
>
> 	I've been using OS X [with Fink] and Ubuntu linux for a few years
> now.

You are then probably aware that the Ubuntu team has shunted further support
onto the Ubuntu community which mostly means that no one will be doing serious
PowerPC development software implementing it's advanced capacity.  That
decision was announced here:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2007-February/000098.html

As for Fink on OS X, you will have to investigate that community.  Although
help from the Debian community is possible, however as Ubuntu follows Debian
most likely PowerPC support will not be a priority there either.

> I decided i would like to put some linux on my old PowerBook,
> and preferably experiment with rpms to supplement my familiarity with
> debs.  I finally got around to installing YDL 5.01, got online and
> immediately upgraded to 5.02.

That's a good move as far as PowerPC systems are concerned, but keep in mind
that current packages for you are best installed and searched either using the
Add/Remove Software utility (also called pirut).  It's recommended that you use
the Add portion, not the Remove portion.  In other words, avoid unchecking any
software.

As far as searching current rpms modify the yum.conf file according to the
instructions here:

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/support/solutions/ydl_5.0/yum.shtml

Once the above is done, you can add more sites by adding the listed official
YDL mirrors into yum.conf.  You may not even need to do that; try the standard
rpms first.

Once yum is setup you could do:

#yum search "*name*"

where name represents whatever name of the package or program you are looking
for.  For example if I'm looking for a name of a program with the word "star"
in it, but I don't know the name of the precise program.  I could ask yum to
look across all or the available mirrors I've informed yum.conf as existing.

#yum search "*star*"

The above will produce a list from which I should read and choose the one which
does interest me and ask yum to install that file and all it's dependencies.

> 	1) I see that BOINC is not available for linux/PPC.  Can somebody
> recommend another utility to manage network computing for this
> architecture?

There are lots of network computing utilities within the standard release of
YDL 5.  Your focus on Westnoth and Boinc however doesn't help emphasize what
kind of network items or tools you are looking for or interested in exploring.
Perhaps if you clarify what you have in mind, I or someone else could proceed
to discuss that.

Good Luck...

========
The scientist's religious feeling takes the form of a
rapturous amazement at the harmony of natural law, which
reveals an intelligence of such superiority that, in
comparison with it, the highest intelligence of human beings
is an utterly insignificant reflection.  This feeling is the
guiding principle of his life and work.
-- Albert Einstein, Scientist.