YDL 5, iBook G4 and Dial Up modem connection

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Tue Jun 26 04:57:48 MDT 2007

Hi Pietro,

Your approach is kind of extreme as regards to only using YDL, but I applaud
your determination.  I'll intersperse my response to yours below; might make
things easier.

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 08:52:46 +0200
Pietro Cristofoli <pietro.cristofoli at univr.it> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've installed YDL 5.0 the other day as the only OS on my iBook G4 (I've
> chosen not to keep Tiger because I have to learn how to use Linux). I've
> update the included packages with YUM but I can't figure out how to
> update YDL to the current 5.01 public release ... but this is another story.

Two ways to do updates within YDL 5:

	1.  #yum update

	2.  Applications --> System Tools --> Software Updater

> I'm able to get online through my Eth0 device but I cant' activate my
> internal modem. It seems that YDL can't recognize it so I've tried with
> a generic "/dev/modem" device but System Config Network can't activate
> it ...
>
> Hope someone with an iBook can help me. Thanks in advance.
>
> Pietro

Setting up your modem:

Applications --> System Tools --> Network Configuration

The above starts the Network Configuration application.  Look for the Hardware
Tab, click upon it.  Next click on New.  You'll see a new dialog box "Choose
Hardware Type".  The first choice will show "wireless"; note the downward
pointing symbol or arrow, click upon that arrow.  Choose Modem from the list
and then click OK.  Next you'll see the Modem Configuration dialog box.  Change
the Baud Rate to the baud rate of your modem.  I think that by US Law the top
modem speed is 57600. Click Ok, and you are on.

If you want to insure your modem is on by listening to it then change modem
volume.  If you prefer not to listen but to just have visual cues that it is on
instead one of the e17 modules can be activated to do that.

Turning on the communications e17 module:

Configuration --> Modules

Select Net.  Choose Enabled.

Next choose:

Configuration --> Shelves

Although you can have more than one shelf, I've two myself, you probably only
use one right now.  So in the dialog box Shelf settings select Shelf 0 and
choose Configure.  Within the Shelf Configuration dialog box choose Configure
Contents.  A new dialog box called Shelf Contents will appear.  It is from here
that you can choose Net.  Click Add Gadget, and you are done. Then choose Close.
Close all windows of dialog boxes which remain open.  The Net Gadget will allow
you to see what is going on with your modem without having to hear it.

Something to consider:  The Problem of Dial-up.

Dial-up is seductive due to it's price however, as modern operating systems
(Windows, OS X, Linux, etc.) have become more complex they require subprograms
and software components which tax dial-up speeds.  For instance, to download
the current release of YDL 5 for burning onto a CD or DVD on DSL or faster
speeds will require easily 3 to 5 hours to acquire the entire file.  The CD's
versions of course would mean 3 to 5 hours per disk.

On dial-up this means a continuously perfect phone connection for over one week!
To download the files to be burnt onto CD's would mean extending that same
demand for perfect transmission across 5 weeks!  Of course, that means that
same dial-up line cannot do anything else.  Phone calls interrupting this
transmission requires the entire download to start all over again.

You can hopefully consider that this is not saving either time or money.

If DSL or high-speed cable is a problem in your area, check to see if you can
use your cell phone as your data modem instead.  Some cell phones do transmit
data slower than DSL true, but they are way faster than dial-up.

It's your time.  Think about it.

Good Luck and welcome to the YDL community!

========
The scientist's religious feeling takes the form of a
rapturous amazement at the harmony of natural law, which
reveals an intelligence of such superiority that, in
comparison with it, the highest intelligence of human beings
is an utterly insignificant reflection.  This feeling is the
guiding principle of his life and work.
-- Albert Einstein, Scientist.