YDL 5, iBook G4 and Dial Up modem connection

David Lowe doctorjlowe at verizon.net
Tue Jun 26 10:31:26 MDT 2007

On Jun 25, 2007, at 11:52 PM, Pietro Cristofoli wrote:

> I'm able to get online through my Eth0 device but I cant' activate my
> internal modem. It seems that YDL can't recognize it so I've tried
> with
> a generic "/dev/modem" device but System Config Network can't activate
> it ...
>
> Hope someone with an iBook can help me. Thanks in advance.

	Sad to say, but it's likely that no linux will be able to activate
any internal modem that's been built in the last seven years.  In
order to reduce the price, they don't have all the parts of an old
fashioned modem.  Functions that used to be done by integral hardware
are now handled by proprietary software running on the system
processor.  Since we don't have the source code to the modem's
software, we can't compile it for linux.  You may be able to find an
external/USB modem that is known to work with linux.

Full information is here:

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/support/hardware/breakdown/
index.php?hw_cat_id=3

Using a rusty Amiga 4000T, a shiny PowerMac G5, & a homebuilt Ubuntu box

I know nothing about sex, because I was always married. - Zsa Zsa Gabor