Where are the Repositories?

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Wed Jun 27 13:00:45 MDT 2007

Hi David:

In your search for your favorite game, it may be quickest if you ask Ron to
share his yum.conf file.  He may have a different list of YDL sites listed in
his yum.conf which allows yum to find and install Westnoth and perhaps other
games of interest to you.  Once you have studied his copy, you may be able to
modify it further to include even more YDL mirrors which may have more variety
matching your interests.

Passwords and security
By definition, everyone during the YDL installation process provides a password
to the system as the root or system administrator password.  Unless the YDL
system you use is owned by another, you are also (as far as the computer is
concerned) the root or system administrator as you know what that password is.
Each YDL installation has it's own password therefore; there is no shared
password across each YDL system.  So my root password is useless to you.

Also during the YDL installation process you were supposed to establish a user
identity associated with a user password for that id.  The idea is that the
functions done as root or system administrator which include:

creating/modifying hard drives, adding printers and other networks

are functions not done very often by most people.  Therefore to prevent major
unintended screw-ups, which as human beings we are each marvelously gifted at,
creating a user id with a password tied to that id would allow us access to a
YDL system so that as a user simple tasks can be done such as:

write a letter, do artwork, or play games.

The user password is unique to the user id and not related in any way to the
root password.

Now about sudo.  Sudo requires registration of a particular user id together
with that's user's password into a specific registry.  Once this procedure is
completed then you can use the sudo command which will then allow access to
root level commands such as yum but require and accept not the root password,
but the user password instead for a limited period of time.  If you don't enter
the user password you are dropped back into user mode and your system remains
safe from unintended changes which could force you into an entire reinstall of
your complete YDL system.

Now let's go back to the root password.  What if you don't know your system
admin or root password?

In that event you use the rescue boot tool within the YDL 5 Install 1st CD
or DVD to change that root password.

It is also possible that you've been using the root password as your user
password.  How to tell?  Open a terminal to help you determine this.

Here's an output within a terminal while I'm in user mode.  In Unix/Linux
different shells (csh, ksh, and so on) exist, bash the one I'm using uses the $
when it's in use.  In the commands within the terminal I moved to a different
directory:

[aguila at arakus ~]$ cd /usr/bin
[aguila at arakus bin]$

Now I'll switch to superuser or su (root or system administrator mode):

[aguila at arakus bin]$ su
Password:
[root at arakus bin]#

Explanation: aguila is my user name on my system.  su is the short-form of the
superuser command telling YDL I'm switching to System Administrator mode and
requires me to enter the root or System Administrator password.  Note that it
does not appear.  Also note that the system responds upon the acceptance of the
correct password that aguila disappears and root appears instead.

Hopefully, all the above will give you a clue how to proceed.  If you determine
that you do need to use the rescue mode, please refer to the instructions here:

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/rescue-mode.shtml

The instructions are old but useful.  Good Luck ...