Professional use of PS3

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Thu Jul 5 05:16:04 MDT 2007

Hi Kaliteal18!

It is probably best that you communicate with TSS directly before you make a
decision.  In order to help you here are two links.  The first link addresses a
variety of questions which perhaps you have:

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/products/faq/

The next link provides to you official TSS contacts which should be useful to
you.  The Linux version of NX-Nastran you mention is probably for Intel systems
only.  In my view, a Linux version of NX-Nastran for Intel will not be
competitive with the kind of Cell/PowerPC specific programming which TSS can
implement.  As I discussed previously, the choice of processor used should be
considered within the context of scientific accuracy and effectiveness a task
requires.

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/tss_contact.shtml

Personally, I cannot say that there are open source programs running within the
PowerPC universe comparable to NX-Nastran.  The best strategy for you is to ask
TSS directly.  Here is another link to do just that:

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/products/y-hpc/quote-request.shtml

As the company which produces NX-Nastran specializes in coding for Intel
systems only, you may most likely require unique services from TSS to:

* achieve superior processing power the Cell can provide
* utilize fully the advantages of moving to Cell processing for your projects.

Good Luck...

On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 20:14:18 -0300
kalitea18 <kalitea18 at ig.com.br> wrote:

> Hello,
> in first place thanks for the answer. I think i dont explain the situation
> properly. We have an analysis and development group in our University (UFBA
> Federal university of Bahia) here in Brasil and our demand of computational
> power is growin very fast. We have planed to buy one workstation with 2
> Xeons quad but first i want to make shure that its the only way to go. In
> the project Folding/Home i see what the PS3 are capable of so will be very
> interesting if instead of a single workstation we buy 3 or 4 PS3 to do the
> work. The software that we use for the analysis (NX-Nastran) have one Linux
> version and what i need to now is if anyone already make something like
> this. Unfortunately i cant afort to pay for one PS3 (if i could i brought
> one for myself a long time ago and dont have to bother anyone whith this
> questioning :D ).
>

> Ps. Sorry my poor english and thanks again :)

========
The scientist's religious feeling takes the form of a
rapturous amazement at the harmony of natural law, which
reveals an intelligence of such superiority that, in
comparison with it, the highest intelligence of human beings
is an utterly insignificant reflection.  This feeling is the
guiding principle of his life and work.
-- Albert Einstein, Scientist.