Trouble getting E17 working correctly on Indigo iMac 400 Mhz

David Nelson davidn at mchsi.com
Wed Aug 15 20:58:09 MDT 2007

Hi All,

There didn't seems to be any mailing list archive to search and I didn't have much luck searching google so I am just asking here.

I have installed YDL 5.0.6 on a 400 Mhz Indigo iMac with a 10GB HD and 128MB of RAM. The install process seemed to go fine. I gave the whole 10GB HD to YDL and used the suggested partitioning scheme, which was 128MB Swap, 100MB boot/ and the rest for /. After partitioning the installer mentioned the small amount of RAM installed and said it needed to enable swap right away, which it seemed to do with no problem. After the install complted and the system rebooted it came up with a very basic config menu that let me set network options, etc. Then when I rebooted again I just got a command line login. I logged in as root and tried startx. This gave me an error stating there was no display configured. I ran system-config-display which seemed to fix the xserver. Now when I enter startx it brings up the E17 desktop. Now for my question. How to I get a display manager setup so when I boot the system it goes right to a graphical login screen where I can choose what desktop I wish to use etc.

Thanks Much!
David