Date Problem

Mark Jeffree mjeffree at ydl.net
Mon Aug 20 18:56:21 MDT 2007

> My PS3 has been running YDL 5.0.2 continuously for about a week.  I
> tested the time + date, it was OK.  So I rebooted it just to test the
> time. The time + date is still OK.  I am in Brisbane, Australia
> timezone, so currently same time as you (+10 hours).
>
> Whenever faced with strange time problems like this, I always suggest
> replacing the motherboard battery.  99% of the time that fixes things.
> You didn't state what hardware you are running YDL on, so I can't
> comment on motherboard issues.

The platform is a PS3 with BIOS updated two weeks ago before I installed
YDL 5.0.2. The battery should still be fine and it's not that the clock
resets or the local oscillator shuts down when I power down and would be
relying on the battery. It's two days late ??!!

I checked that the date is set by the KDE app (opened a terminal and
typed "date") and it's correct. But on reboot the startup text after
kboot and before the WM starts, shows the date being initialised
incorrectly.

I tried being in Brisbane in case there was something odd about the
Sydney timezone config, but the problem stayed the same.

I also tried setting the date two days AHEAD, but that didn't fix it
either.  I tried connecting to *any* of the ntp servers listed in the
KDE Control Module and they all fail, and none of those correspond to
the /etc/ntp.conf ones anyway. I don't have any confidence that NTP is
starting.

Possibly related, though I doubt it, is that I get a FATAL error at
startup "GELIC_NET" (??something like that??), but the eth0 still seems
to work fine. I haven't tried WiFi.