Date Problem

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 19:26:56 MDT 2007

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 10:56:21 +1000 Mark Jeffree <mjeffree at ydl.net>
wrote:

> > My PS3 has been running YDL 5.0.2 continuously for about a week.  I
> > tested the time + date, it was OK.  So I rebooted it just to test
> > the time. The time + date is still OK.  I am in Brisbane, Australia
> > timezone, so currently same time as you (+10 hours).
> >
> > Whenever faced with strange time problems like this, I always
> > suggest replacing the motherboard battery.  99% of the time that
> > fixes things. You didn't state what hardware you are running YDL
> > on, so I can't comment on motherboard issues.
>
> The platform is a PS3 with BIOS updated two weeks ago before I
> installed YDL 5.0.2. The battery should still be fine and it's not
> that the clock resets or the local oscillator shuts down when I power
> down and would be relying on the battery. It's two days late ??!!

PS3's are too new to be having motherboard battery problems.  I don't
think it is a user replaceable part anyway.

> I also tried setting the date two days AHEAD, but that didn't fix it
> either.  I tried connecting to *any* of the ntp servers listed in the
> KDE Control Module and they all fail, and none of those correspond to
> the /etc/ntp.conf ones anyway. I don't have any confidence that NTP is
> starting.

Now that is interesting.  Could it be that it is syncing up with a
broken external clock?  Try setting it to a complete wrong time, then
reboot.  See if you still get the correct time, but two days late.

Or something may be corrupt on your hard drive that is causing this.