Date Problems

Mark Jeffree mjeffree at ydl.net
Tue Aug 21 18:29:19 MDT 2007

> > I also tried setting the date two days AHEAD, but that didn't fix it
> > either.  I tried connecting to *any* of the ntp servers listed in the
> > KDE Control Module and they all fail, and none of those correspond to
> > the /etc/ntp.conf ones anyway. I don't have any confidence that NTP is
> > starting.
>
> Now that is interesting.  Could it be that it is syncing up with a
> broken external clock?  Try setting it to a complete wrong time, then
> reboot.  See if you still get the correct time, but two days late.
>
> Or something may be corrupt on your hard drive that is causing this.

I fixed it. I rebooted into PS3 mode to see when it thought it was, and
sure enough ... two days out. So under PS3>settings>
time_and_date_settings>, I "resynch(ed) via the internet" and it updated
correctly. Then when I rebooted into YDL, the date was set correctly.

This tells me a few things. Maybe when I first turned it on, in the
excitement I entered the wrong date <oops>. It also says that the
hypervisor has its own notion of time and date, and linux can't alter it
in a way that is persistent over reboot. Also, none of my linux NTP
client setup works.

If you alter the date under linux, ("date MMDDhhmm") does it stay
altered after reboot? Are you able to connect to any of the NTP servers
(eg oceania.pool.ntp.org or fedora.pool.ntp.org)?