how to update

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Mon Sep 10 19:49:50 MDT 2007

Hi Todd:

With YDL versions between 3 through 5 inclusive, you can use yum for
installations and updates.  Yum requires that you be in root, system
administration or superuser mode.  Consider all three terms as
equivalent for the same mode. To learn more regarding yum you can within
user mode, do:

$man yum

or

$info yum

Until you are more familiar with yum it may be easier within YDL 5 to
access Software Updater or pup.  The sequence to it is:

Applications --> System Tools --> Software Updater

Pup will ask you to enter your superuser password.  Do that and it will
check what is installed on your system inform you of available updates
and then allow you choices.  If you are a member of ydl.net then you'll
have access to all the unique updates allowing you to approach your
potential in using the Cell or other PowerPC system you have.

Regarding installation and other programs which may be of use or
interest to you there is pirut, which is accessed by:

Applications --> Add/Remove Software

It also will ask for the superuser or System Administrator password.
Suggestion: When you place a check to install something within this
program make sure you don't uncheck anything.  Likewise, when you
become more familiar with yum don't use or invoke the remove command.

If you choose eventually to remove something it is better to locate the
specific program.  Let's say that as an example I installed a program
called powermanga.  I want to remove it. Do:

[aguila at arakus ~]$ whereis powermanga
powermanga: /usr/bin/powermanga /usr/games/powermanga /usr/share/man/man6/powermanga.6.gz
[aguila at arakus ~]$

Explanation: After the whereis command is executed YDL responds by
telling you where powermanga is located.  The next step to remove it
requires you to be in superuser mode.  To do that change directories
and go to where the program is located, then use the rpm command with
the e flag (e for extract):

#rpm -e powermanga

YDL will proceed to remove it for you.

Getting more background:
The superuser password is not the same as your user password, at least
it shouldn't be.  To get a bit clearer on the concepts regarding Linux
details addressing System Administration and user access and functions
or tasks specific to each mode, getting a text which you are comfortable
with for references -- addressing either Linux System Administration
and/or Linux System Programming -- is not a bad idea. There are
references on the web and elsewhere, but much of what is useful is
dispersed.  Taking the time to explore such references will be a solid
investment and save time later.

Picking up a text on Unix shells and System Administration would also
help with Linux while expanding anyone's understanding regarding what it
is possible to do in executing various projects one might wish to
experiment with or pursue.

Good Luck...