how to update

Paul Higgins higg0008 at tc.umn.edu
Mon Sep 10 21:19:59 MDT 2007

There is some good info in the book "Red Hat Linux 8 for Dummies", which
though somewhat dated (for newbies who don't know, Red Hat has for years been
called Fedora Core), has a fairly pain-free section on the rpm command.
There is also a good introduction to other basic shell commands.  I found it
very helpful.  Don't buy it--it's too dated, but it should be available at
most libraries.

Derick is right, learning how to work in the shell is really essential to
working in Linux, or any *real* OS for that matter, including Mac OS X.  I've
always found the library to be my best friend for that, with the web as a
close second (e.g. linuxquestions.org).

-PRH