how to update

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Mon Sep 10 22:54:59 MDT 2007

Paul, thanks for the vote of support.

One key point.  Fedora is a community effort which Red Hat sponsors;
(Fedora) is quite different from what Red Hat offers as it's commercial
offering such as Red Hat Enterprise, etc.  A better explanation is
here:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/

One other difference is that Red Hat Enterprise produces no code for the
PowerPC; they support only Intel and compatibles.  Red Hat engineers
cooperate with Fedora, but Fedora's volunteers currently support both
Intel/compatibles and PowerPC.  Fedora in that regard is similar to
other Linux distributions where their effort and resources are split
such that Intel comes first and after that is done then work proceeds
on PowerPC based stuff.  And while there is much to appreciate, surely,
the source of these distributions are nearly all similarly split --
they cannot, in my opinion, design their source to take full advantage
of the unique design of PowerPC systems.

TSS is like Red Hat in that it is a commercial entity dedicated
exclusively to PowerPC technology as Red Hat is dedicated exclusively
to Intel.

YDL differs from Fedora in that YDL is exclusively designed for
running on PowerPC systems.  The PowerPC is not just a computer
designed a little differently, it is designed intentionally differently
so that explorations of all kinds of efforts can be explored in ways
that just cause Intel systems to choke.  Intel technologies have a
definite value, but the PowerPC's value is unique and for many projects
where details and scales of order of precision matter -- superior.

Not many people are interested in exploring at that level of intricacy
curiously rare or different areas of basic or advanced science or math,
but with YDL running on a PowerPC -- no one can stop them from
achieving that kind of refined mastery or understanding should a person
choose to do so in nearly any field.

One example, not many are aware that the now so called outdated G4 can
process specially prepared code at 128 bits.  It isn't simple, true.
But it is there, and YDL can take advantage of it and one can share
with a string of buddies worldwide all growing towards and perhaps in,
a shared interest -- mastering that interest or subject that much
faster.

What YDL does with the Cell, is even better.  And YDL running on a
cluster of PS3s better still.  I've years of experience running
superminis and mainframes utilizing Unix like systems.  Even so, with
that as a background given the Cell, I can only imagine what Kai
and the TSS team has done.   However, by keeping YDL what it is Kai
and TSS has done what not even Red Hat has because Red Hat Enterprise
is not Fedora, but YDL remains YDL.

My dream is to have a PS3 cluster in a laptop.  I know that the reality
will be YDL running it.

Best wishes...