NFS problem -- just doesn't work

Stephen Thudium sthudium at mac.com
Sun Dec 23 15:33:49 MST 2007

I get the following error message when I try to mount an NFS
directory on the client host.

[root at localhost ~]# mount -t nfs 192.168.1.200:/home/backup /mnt/nfs
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on 192.168.1.200:/
home/backup,
        missing codepage or other error
        dmesg | tail  or so

The above error message comes up immmediately so I think the problem
is in the client and not the server.

I have two Macs, both with YDL 5.0.2 installed.  The client is a '03
Powerbook G4 (192.168.1.201) and the server is a '03 iMac
(192.168.1.200).

The setup seemed simple enough.  On the server I added the following
line to /etc/exports
/home/backup      192.168.1.201(rw,sync)

At the server I then started NFS with the following commands
# service portmap start
# service nfs start
# service nfslock start

At the client I then started NFS with the same commands and then
tried the command I listed at top of this email.

I know the client does talk to the server because I can establish ssh
from the client to the server.

Does anyone have a recommended procedure for me to follow?  Is there
a NFS HOWTO (for server and client) that I could use?  I read the NFS
HOWTO on the TerraSoft website and that was totally inappropriate; it
only mentions a Solaris client.