NFS problem AGAIN -- it still does not work

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Fri Jan 4 04:30:07 MST 2008

Along the lines which SRM has raised, it may be wiser to modify or
refine the IPTables and install either Open Source Tripwire (OST) or
Tripwire or another security tool for helping identify server
security vulnerabilities so that one can construct an ever stronger
or better protected server.

Of course, the issue is really what is being done with the server.
If it is open to the net in any capacity shutting down the IPTables
is not a solution as you are inviting others to turn your server in
the equivalent of a spawning system for virii, spam and worse.
Shutting down the IPTables is even a worse option if that is the only
security system you know of and/or tool which you have.  The harder
and more prudent approach is a combined strategy of multiple security
tools for your server.  I've suggested one security system I know
about which works on YDL.  There are probably others.

Security, has become everyone's business to insure that one is not
propagating problems for others via the server or client one owns.
It's the new public hygiene like the unpleasant but necessary
consideration of any other hygiene issue.  In the end, it is in one's
best interest to make the time to master the details.

Perhaps a list of security systems like OST, and others, which work
on YDL can be tested and listed somewhere as a reference.
Best wishes...