YDL 6 on iMac G5

Ali Rastegar rastegar at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 10:36:19 MDT 2008

Hello,
I have an iMac G5 Rev.B 17inch 2.0Ghz.
First of all I want to thank terrasoft/YDL developers for their great
work on YDL 6. All I needed to install YDL was deleting my unused
partition with Disk Utility and let YDL partition the free space
itself.
Another suprprise to me was correct resolution for my iMac G5
display(1440x900) and correct audio driver enabled by default.
However, the rest of my experience was not that great.
The graphics driver was set to FBDEV so it was too slow, I have
changed it to radeon and it works reasonably well now.
My problems are:
1- It seems that Thermal Fan Support is not enabled by default so fans
always get to full speed. How can I enable it?
2- I need to use Add/Remove , yum or any other package management
related  application to install kernel sources(to compile kernel
myself and enable G5 thermal support) but it seems none of them work
without internet connection. Even trying to open rpm file on my DVD
failed.
Are there anyway to force it use my YDL6 DVD as software source/repository?
I'm currently a Dialup user so the only way to get connected to
internet is my internal modem. I know my Motorola modem is a software
modem and I do not expect it to work.
Thanks!