YDL 6 on iMac G5

Derick Centeno dcenteno at ydl.net
Sun Mar 16 14:04:31 MDT 2008

Hi Ali:

The Add/Remove app also known as pirut, relies upon yum.  So once the
configuration of yum is established there should not be further
challenges.  As far as configuring yum follow the link here:

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/support/solutions/ydl_6.x/yum.shtml

If you have or acquire a membership with ydl.net there are instructions
there as to how to point yum to TSS directly (via ydl.net) and attain
the most recent updates when they become available.

As you are using dial-up you will have to deal with transfers being
really slow, other than that yum and other communications should not be
a problem.  Remember that modern software packages (rpms) are a lot
larger than what they used to be in the past as users have demanded
more complex functions and applications.

Regarding mounting the DVD, that should not be a problem as it should
happen automatically within e17, KDE or Gnome.  Accessing the packages
within the DVD is quite similar and straightforward as provided in the
older instructions provided here:

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/rpm-install.shtml

Obviously where the cdrom is mounted in the instructions merely
replace that with dvd.  Of course you should take the time to notice
exactly how the dvd is mounted on your system, etc.

Here's what I do when I stick in my YDL 6 DVD:

1.  I go to Applications --> System Tools --> File Browser.  Then select
Computer.

3.  Notice the CDRW/DVD device and double-click on that.  Now it the
DVD should be opened within it's own window.  And you'll notice that
the generic icon of the CDRW image has changed and now how the name of
the DVD.  It has become mounted.  I'm not an expert on why e17 does
this, but it's fine for me.

4.  As to where the DVD actually is as far as YDL is concerned do:

[aguila at arakus ~]$ cd /media
[aguila at arakus media]$ ls
"YDL 6.0 ppc DVD"
[aguila at arakus media]$

5.  All the above means you don't have to follow the older instructions
regarding the cdrom.  However, there's still more to do.  We proceed
from this point as follows:

PS. I created the dvd directory within /mnt by using mkdir.  Explicitly:

mkdir /mnt/dvd

Moving on:

[root at arakus aguila]# mount /dev/dvd /mnt/dvd
mount: block device /dev/dvd is write-protected, mounting read-only
[root at arakus dvd]# ls
etc     LICENSE  PS3               repodata     TRANS.TBL
images  ppc      RELEASE-NOTES.en  RPM-GPG-KEY  YellowDog

Just for the sake of completion I executed the old instructions just to
test if they still work.  I returned to my home directory within root
(but you could also stay within /mnt/dvd the results would be the same:

[root at arakus aguila]# rpm -qip /mnt/dvd/Yell*/gimp-2*ppc.rpm
warning: /mnt/dvd/YellowDog/gimp-2.2.13-1.ydl.1.ppc.rpm: Header V3 DSA
signature: NOKEY, key ID aeb6b9c4 Name        :
gimp                         Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 2.2.13                            Vendor: Terra Soft
Solutions Release     : 1.ydl.1                       Build Date: Thu
30 Aug 2007 07:21:32 PM EDT Install Date: (not installed)
Build Host: build2.terraplex.com Group       :
Applications/Multimedia       Source RPM: gimp-2.2.13-1.ydl.1.src.rpm
Size        : 27916297                         License: GPL, LGPL
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Thu 27 Sep 2007 06:32:26 PM EDT, Key ID
140c5348aeb6b9c4 Packager    : Terra Soft Solutions
<http://bugzilla.terrasoftsolutions.com> URL         :
http://www.gimp.org/ Summary     : GNU Image Manipulation Program
Description : GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) is a powerful image
composition and editing program, which can be extremely useful for
creating logos and other graphics for webpages. GIMP has many of the
tools and filters you would expect to find in similar commercial
offerings, and some interesting extras as well. GIMP provides a large
image manipulation toolbox, including channel operations and layers,
effects, sub-pixel imaging and anti-aliasing, and conversions, all with
multi-level undo.
[root at arakus aguila]#

You do not have to be in root or superuser to execute rpm -qip as I did
above.  However in order to proceed with the installation using rpm
- -ivh, you need to stay within root. The other alternative is to set
yourself up so that you can invoke sudo so that you may easily switch
back and forth between user and root modes.

Finally, regarding the modem problem.  I happen to have an external
hardware modem, the venerable Global Village V.92 Model 6250 complete
with cable and power cord. I've never had a problem with it and it
worked fine as a replacement of the internal modem within my G3
mini-tower until I permanently abandoned it for a G4 laptop. I'm pretty
sure you can figure out the RJ45 connections and supply your own
lines.  If you want it communicate with me directly via email and I'll
try come to an agreement on the details on how to get it to you.

All the best...