rt73 usb YDL 4.0 on linux 2.6.24-3

stuart stuart at stuartmathews.com
Sun Mar 23 17:31:22 MDT 2008

Hi there folks,

I've got a wierd problem whereby I have just compiled the kernel from ydl
4.0's default of i think 2.6.10 to 2.6.24-3 which was a success and
everything seems to work fine. no problems yet.

I bought myself a DWL-G122 usb wifi dongle that the kernel sees and
registers - it makes it wlan0 - which is cool, but one problem - while I
can see it, i cannot bring it up - like in "ip l s dev wlan0 up" or
"ifconfig wlan0 up" - this just yields saying that the device is not
there!! But it is! Okay, so maybe its got another problem? If I look into
the syslog, I see that it can't load the firmware rt73.bin.
Okay, fine I download the rt73.bin from ralink(driver manufacturer) and put
it into /lib/firmware....still says it can't load it.
I try another outdated version of rt73.bin, no luck.

What's even more wierd is that I've gotten this to work on gentoo on PPC -
that's right exact same kernel( actuallt it was 2.6.24 not rev 3) and
rt73.bin from ralink and it worked fine.

Now my question is...

Do you think that 2.6.24-3 is to blame? Or how can the failing rt73.bin be
the problem, or rather what's causing this?

any ideas?

suppose next step is to try with 2.6.24 without rev 3 ...right?

What do you guys think?

kind regards

Stu