ydl 6.0/ps3 newbie

Derick Centeno dcenteno at ydl.net
Sat Mar 22 22:58:24 MDT 2008

I'll intersperse my response to your questions for the sake of imitating a more
sensible conversation.

On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 22:51:05 -0400
jculpepper419 at aol.com wrote:

> I just installed ydl 6.0 onto my ps3 and I have a few setup/config
> questions.
>  1) I installed to support 1080p however when ydl is running it leaves a
> black border around the edge of the screen. Under settings I am unable
> change the resolution .Is there any way to make the display fit the
> entire screen?

The information you should review regarding this is located here:

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/support/solutions/ydl_6.x/

Be sure to examine each document discussing audio and video.

>   2)How do I setup a bluetooth keyboard and mouse for use with ydl? i.e.
> logitech mediaboard pro

Sorry, can't address this.  Don't have PS3.

>   3) When browsing the web using firefox I am unable to load youtube
> videos
>  and yahoo games. What do I have to do in order to make these sites
>  viewable?

If you do:

Applications --> Sound Video --> Codec Installer

You'll notice a small app which introduces Fluendo and that Windows codecs are
available through them (legally) for a fee.  Just go to their website and
consider whether you need this.  I cannot speak regarding the quality of these
codecs or how they appear to someone when installed.

>  4) I have a WD passport external HDD connected that has mp3's,
>  pictures(jpg) and videos. Using the computer icon I am able to view the
>   pictures but am unable to listen to the mp3's. I have already checked
>  make sure the sound works. What do you think the problem is here?

Something not obvious... check the master sound controls.  It may be in mute or
the sound levels may be very low.  If you are in e17, here's what to do:

First select the module and make it functional.  Do this:

Configuration --> Modules

Select the module that looks like a speaker.  Then click Load Module.  You'll
notice that the module will be shifted into the Loaded Modules column.  To
learn more about it click About and a brief explanation appears.  When done
click Close.

Next do:

Configuration --> Shelves

This is the first step in placing the module you just activated somewhere onto
a shelf.  Select Configure.  A window called Shelf Configuration appears, now
select Configure Contents.  You'll see Available Gadgets click on the one which
interests (the name which appears is Mixer) you then click Add Gadget, it should
then appear on the shelf you selected.  When it's on the shelf you can now
manipulate it directly.  Click on the Mixer and note the setting of volume and
whether mute is on or off.  Once it's somewhere on your shelf you won't have to
go through all the above.

>  5)What is yum?

A brief explanation of yum can be found here:

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/support/solutions/ydl_6.x/yum.shtml

Understand that the Add/Remove application (called pirut) relies upon it so
configuring yum correctly will save you time.

All the best...