Installation on an IBM QS21

Derick Centeno dcenteno at ydl.net
Sat Apr 5 16:25:18 MDT 2008

On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 21:23:45 +0200
Björn Torkelsson <torkel at hpc2n.umu.se> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sat, 2008-04-05 at 11:09 -0400, Derick Centeno wrote:
> > Hi Bjorn:
> >
> > If you read the section discussing NFS Setup, the first sentence clearly
> > states "define a space to store QS21 installations..."  In other
> > words /srv/nsfroots is a directory structure you are supposed to create
> > first.  It is not a command sequence executed from a terminal.
>
> Well, I have created the nfsroot structure, though it is located
> under /export/nfsroots or do you mean that it is hardcoded to
> be /srv/nfsroots? The guide doesn't say anything about that.
>
> I currently have two problems:
>
> 1) nfsroot is not recognised as a keyword in the kickstart file.

I was merely attempting to highlight or emphasize the directions as written.
I am not implying or suggesting anything beyond the published directions.
Unfortunately, I do not have access to an equipment lab as the authors do nor
can I comment regarding what may or may not be "hardcoded".

> 2) When doing a manual installation I am _not_ prompted for the NFS
> server and directory on which I want to install YDL.

Being human unfortunately means being woefully limited in both precise
description and the ability to offer assistance without reference to such a
working lab/technical environment which the authors have access to.  My
apologies for a faulty interpretation.

I understand you don't have an account manager yet and you took the "try before
you buy" approach.  Reasonable as far as that goes, however consider that the
information you need is in setting up your system with YDL6 so that you can get
a sense of how it works.  You already have YDL6, having attained it from the
public mirrors.  If you consider that what you would really "buy" from
TSS, isn't YDL6 at all but the nature of service provided by TSS -- essentially
their expertise -- in taking you further as a functioning network providing
services for your users.  That, in my way of thinking, is something worth paying
for.

However you can't get a snapshot or overview of how well YDL6 works until
you get over your current technical conundrum.  I have no knowledge of all the
services which TSS provides nor under what conditions services are provided
under contract.

One method which could allow you a richer information resource as you continue
to "explore" YDL6 for your purposes is to consider participating with the
ydl.net service.  The current mailing list is one "free" information resource,
another free resource is: A Yellow Dog Linux IRC channel on the FreeNode IRC
Network in addition to channels for many other open source projects. #yellowdog
can be accessed via an IRC client such as "XChat" at 'irc.freenode.net'.  The
application which functions as XChat did is called Pidgin (labeled Internet
Messenger) within YDL6.

As for myself, I'm a longtime user of YDL, and am skilled in the current
release.  However, as I hinted at earlier I don't have the TSS lab setup and I
certainly don't have a QS21. There may be others who do, and perhaps they may
communicate via this list but I'm not sure that the odds are good that waiting
for them is a plan which meets your needs.

It may be worth your time, especially as you've already made this much effort,
to speak with TSS directly and explore what may be the more efficient and
reasonable approach to engage upon from this point.

All the best...
=====
"If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often
think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of
music. ... I get most joy in life out of music."

"What Life Means to Einstein: An Interview by George Sylvester
Viereck," for the October 26, 1929 issue of The Saturday Evening Post.