e17 Dockbar Configuration & Bling Module

LaNier.Robert Robert.Lanier at SunTrust.com
Tue Apr 8 06:51:41 MDT 2008

:-)  I understand whole heartedly and enjoyed reading what you explained
so wonderfully!!  That was very motivational as well and sparks
something in me to want to learn more!  I really appreciate the
response.

Robert O. LaNier, II
Remote Business Relationship Manager
STOLI Suntrust Bank Online

Mail Code: TN-NA-0785
41 Rachel Drive
Nashville, TN 37214
(866) 472-6620 Voice
(615) 391-8609 Fax
Seeing beyond money SM

-----Original Message-----
From: yellowdog-newbie-bounces at lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
[mailto:yellowdog-newbie-bounces at lists.terrasoftsolutions.com] On Behalf
Of Derick Centeno
Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 8:31 AM
To: Discussion List for New Yellow Dog Linux Users
Subject: Re: e17 Dockbar Configuration & Bling Module

Robert, you are forgetting something essential.  e17 is brand
spanking new!

The information you acquired regarding engage needing to be acquired
from within a cvs means something for persons with intermediate to
advanced programming skills.  Briefly, a cvs is tool which provides a
means of tracking changes in source code libraries.  Source code
meaning C or C++ languages, as well as others used in programming
computers.

What you fail to realize is that to use engage, you have to have the
programming skills in order to compile, build, install and test
engage then integrate it into e17 so that everything works.  On the
commercial side of the universe where Windows, Macs and others have
sway -- companies pay programmers to do all that work and sell or
license the end product -- a working operating system complete with
all the niceties most users are used to for users to, well, use.

Linux/Unix are different.  Unix, commercial Unix such as Solaris and
AIX, and others, provide a tool like cvs for their programmers
and like other commercial environments an IT/MIS department does the
work which the users have no idea exists.  Usually users needs are
refined on-site.

Linux was designed to be close to Unix, but allow for persons to use
it at home or home office environments.  However, every single
version of Linux has nearly the full complexity of what commercial
Unix is.  In other words, it required the user of Linux to be
competent as a programmer.  If one thing is hindering Linux from
overall complete acceptance and domination of the desktop it still
needs a person sophisticated and disciplined enough to understand and
correct the source code when things go wrong.

Linux, and BSD Unix, are a great gifts, as rich as a local public
library.  The difference is that few actually take advantage of it
and master what is present for all and anyone to read and learn
from.  There is no commercial operating system or commercial service
which will permit you to access, read, have the opportunity to learn
or correct source code -- and literally design things your way and
share it with others.

YDL is under the GPL (General Public License), like other Linux
variants so it is it's own library for your use and expansion.
Not everyone will be interested in doing such intricate work of
course.  But to use engage and build it, you must have that core
competence at this stage of how e17 exists.

Unfortunately the current situation in Linux is akin to asking a
listener of music to become a Master Composer, or Musician.
It is understandable not everyone will do that, or engage in the
disciplines to achieve that competency.  However, the opportunity in
Linux is that if one had the drive and interest -- one potentially
could do some wonderful work adding to the marvel that e17 is and may
yet be.

The work one assumes must be conditional upon one's interests.  Some
will have to wait; others will make attempts.  No one however can
design or imagine exactly how you or another individual would do
something creative within Linux.  There's no guarantee of success,
but the opportunity is definitely present.

All the best...